|Nicholas Arden Brooks' "Still Life with Newspaper and Pipes"|
(1890). Ah, how enjoyable it can be to sit and read the news...
Media requests: I enjoy speaking to the press about any issues relating to environmental politics (in particular: the 'growth-environment paradox', energy and climate change, and sustainable food and transport - notably climate debates relating to aviation, nuclear energy, livestock, rail travel, and novel proteins.
Interviewed for three articles relating to aviation and climate change (and featured in a few others):
- "Academics Pledge to Fly Less Due to Environmental Impact of Air Travel,” The Globe & Mail (by Joe Friesen, July 16th, 2019).
- "Drake's climate change problem," Maclean's (by Kyle Edwards, June 26th, 2019).
- "Drake's Raptors Parade Flyover Was as Bad for the World as Burning 24,889 Lbs of Coal" Narcity, (by Patrick John Gilson, June 26th, 2019).
- "Airplanes are a massive source of carbon emissions and the industry has no real plan to reduce pollution, prof warns," Georgia Straight (by Travis Lupick, June 3rd, 2019)
- "Congress 2019: UBC throws open its doors to academics, and the public," Vancouver Sun (by Randy Shore, May 24th, 2019)
- "What's going to happen to Vancouver's economy when it becomes increasingly shameful to fly?" Georgia Straight (by Charlie Smith, June 6th, 2019)
Featured in ProfTalks Podcast, where I discuss the debates about livestock and climate change (and link to previous work on high-speed rail and climate change):
- "Climate Change, Livestock Production & More w Dr. Ryan Katz-Rosene," ProfTalks w Adam Vasallo (April 20, 2019)
Interviewed for two articles relating to the GM Oshawa closure and rise of global electric vehicle market, Toronto Star (2018):
- "A global shift toward electric vehicles is well underway, experts say," (by Ben Spurr, November 27, 2018).
- "Des milliers de tonnes de gaz à effet de serre causées par le G7," (par David Rémillard, 10 novembre, 2018).
Interviewed for an article about The Future of Sustainable Protein Research Symposium, in The Fulcrum (2018):
Interviewé pour un exposé sur l’empreinte écologique laissée par le Sommet du G7, Le Soleil (2018):
Interviewed for a piece on one of my paper presentations at Congress in National Post (2018) - [NOTE: I'm not a big fan of the headline; this is an issue which requires context and nuance]:
- "Livestock emissions aren't about to destroy the world, researcher says," (by Jake Edmiston, May 2018).
- "After massive investments, Trudeau government puts public transit on track" (by Carl Meyer, April 2018).
- "3 Questions pour comprendre: la vague des voitures électriques" (par Reda Bourgeois-Maaroufi, novembre, 2017)
Interviewed for a piece on Alumni of Carleton's Institute of Political Economy (2017):
Interviewed for VICE media on high-speed rail (2017):
Media Outreach about the 'Green Meat' Roundtable at Congress (2016):
A New Approach to Teaching (2015):
- "Geography seminar gives students unique insight into environmental policy" (Balca, January 19th, 2015).
Review of A Line in the Tar Sands (2014):
SSHRC Storytellers (2014):
- "Meet the Storytellers: Ryan Katz-Rosene" (April 9th, 2014).
- "Carleton Grad Students Take Top Honours in National SSHRC Storytellers Challenge" (April 1st, 2014).
- "SSHRC Announces Storytellers Winners" (April 1st, 2014).
GRIT Award (2014):
Three Minute Thesis (2013):
Peace Process Simulation (2005):